Thursday, February 5, 2009

Burn's Weekend

January 25th, 2009

This weekend was very relaxing as I had a chance to see some more sites of Glasgow. On Saturday I woke up late and took my time getting ready for the day. I met up with some friends in the early afternoon and we took the subway into the city centre to do some exploring. We we arrived at Buchanan Street we all immediately hit up the candy store... for some reason I have been OBSESSED with Cadbury Chocolate bars here and can't get enough of them!! After dealing with the chocolate fix, we all walked down towards the Glasgow Green. I took pictures along the way for my black and white photography class... there are a few I really like (some of them are so romantic haha) so hopefully they come out! We walked through the Glasgow Green and made our way towards the People's Palace. It was really nice out, and along the way we thought we could smell the brewery where Tennents Lager is made... Once it started getting dark out we walked back towards the city to find a place to eat dinner. We ended up eating at this nice Italian restaurant and I must say the lasagna was fantastic! That evening a few of us went out to try our luck at a karaoke bar down town... some of the people were a little sketched out with the bar so we ended up going somewhere else, but my friend Erin and I went back to sing a Brittney Spears song... definitely my new favorite thing to do!!

Sunday was Robert Burns Day in Scotland. Apparently Robert Burns is a hero here in Glasgow and every year families get together eat haggis and celebrate with a nice dinner. Seeing as none of us here could even know how to cook haggis, we decided to go to the pub around the corner called the Islay to celebrate (I would like to note that the fire alarm also decided to join in on the celebration and I was definitely not a fan... I can't even count anymore how many times the damn alarm has gone off). We arrived at the pub just in time to witness the "Address to the Haggis." It was actually really amusing and a bag piper played throughout a skit in which a man cut the haggis with a sword- resulting in a broken table. When the skit finished, our table ordered our own haggis to try and then spent the rest of the night talking and listening to different performers.

No comments:

Post a Comment